My new old phone: Sony Xperia Z1

6:03 AM




When it comes time to buy a new hi-tech gadget, we all have a great lust to buy a piece of hardware that money can (or can't) buy. It often turns out to be a things that's too deep in price, but our pockets cannot reach that far. That's why I was thinking about the strategy: better get a new decent phone for amount of money I can spare, than buy an used one that someone threw away (after all I'm an unemployed student, so I can't risk my cash on broken piece of hardware). However, this year I decided to spare more cash and get for a first time high end Android device. I still couldn't save that much, so I thought that a barely used device might be a good buy. So, here comes my first meeting with a premium product. I had two Sony phones earlier, and I'm really into this brand, because they provide solid phones, and in the last two years up-to-date software updates.

Here it is. Xperia Z1. I got mine from one really nice and polite woman and she swore that phone is in perfect condition, already updated to latest 5.0.2 without any usage marks and she is such a perfectionist. There was only downside: it was white. For me, it isn't big deal, because you can get cases of another color, and front side is black anyway. I gave her $250, and became a new user of an old phone. So, how good or bad could it be?

This phone is 6 months old, and it is already two years after official release. That means if we get the fact that Sony does support their high end devices up to two years, this device's life span has come to its end. There are positive sides: it is still expected from Sony to give a few more updates, and there is also a good community support for aftermarket firmwares.

Ok, let's see what we have on table.

Build and design





When it comes to size, this is pretty big phone. And that's with no reason. For example, Xperia E4 and Samsung Galaxy S4 are smaller at same screen size. Also, phone is a bit heavy. It does contain front and back side made of glass, and in the middle it is metal - probably aluminium. There is only small amount of plastic near the screen and back cover. In hand phone feels solid and it has that premium feel. Sweet.
Screen is very clear and bright, even it is old TFT technology, but anyway, it is enough crisp and sharp, so you shouldn't have any problem reading your messages when you expose the phone to sun.
One more thing about a size - unused space under the screen should be filled with illumination bar. That's one cool feature I had on Xperia M2. Only reason I got rid of that phone is dust under the screen that came through usb port which was unprotected. I was also waiting for Lollipop update, and it still has to come. So, now I have it and I am very satisfied. There is also a memory bug in this 5.0.2 firmware. However, I didn't experience any problem up to now.
Luckily, LED notification is still there. It is under earspeaker. Great stuff, but when you are far away from phone, you will hardly notice it's blinking.




                                



Back side of phone reveals 20.7 megapixel camera with tiny, and barely useful flashlight. It is ok when there is some light in room, but in dark don't expect much from it.
Photos on daylight are gorgeus. Well, from my perspective. It is comparable, but for my needs it makes great images. Especially I need to shoot near objects. It produces readable text, and great amount of details in macro mode. Camera software, however, offers Auto mode which limits you to 8 megapixels, but it can predict a scene for image you are taking. Good thing if 8 megapixels are enough for you. It has BIONZ processor which can render images, and improve overall quality.

Here's one image I shoot with Z1:




               


Here's what we have on the sides of the phone:

   
  


On left side we have microSD, microUSB port covered with metal flaps and magnetic charger port.
Wait, I said magnetic charger port? Yes, another great feature to have, but I've heard bad experiences of people who burned their battery and charger with cheap magnetic cables from China. It is at the moment expensive accessory for me, maybe I will get it in the future to preserve those flaps and make them last longer. As this phone is water and dust resistant, those flaps are serving for that purpose. It doesn't mean it won't break over time.

On the right side there is microSIM slot, which has a plastic case (and you should expect this kind of detail on high end phone), power/lock, volume and camera buttons. Other sides provide headphones plug and loudspeaker grill.

 User interface and experience

As mentioned above, it naturally doesn't come with 5.0.2, but I got the phone already upgraded to latest version. It runs pretty good. I haven't experienced slowdowns or freezes. Here are some screenshots:




 
 
 
 
 


Lolly does great, but there are also things which I don't like. First, why on Earth there is no sound toggle in notifications? Samsung has already implemented that in their Touchwiz UI on 5.0.1. Yeah, I know I can fire up volume button and set Silent or Priority mode. What the heck is now Priority? It is some kind of smart mode that you can modify to silent some volumes, but keep other ones, such as notifications from apps. You can also press on speaker icon when the popup bar appears to immediately set it on vibrate, and there is also Silent mode to mute everything. There's no even vibration. A bit frustrating, but I think I will get used to it. Well, 5.1.1 doesn't bring anything new to improve that. It is maybe to stay closer to stock Android. Another thing is that old widgets for WLAN, Bluetooth, Mobile data, etc. are all gone. So, only way to toggle volume on/off quickly is to press one of the volume buttons. Well, they at Google call it a feature.
And another new thing is Adaptive brightness. It is adapting...to what? If I move slider left or right I can increase and decrease brightness like I do manually. But I don't see it does affect brightness in any way to adapt to the environment you're in (for me it doesn't seem it makes difference if it is darker or brighter). Good old Auto mode was using Ambient sensor in more efficient way.
Last thing to mention is battery. It simply lasts shorter because of Lollipop. I can get two days on Stamina if I'm not using phone for a while, and a day and few hours when using most of phone functions. Phew. There's still an option to move back to Kitkat.
What else is good? Everything else. Walkman is still here, well under a different name. It's called now Music, which is rather boring and tasteless.

Good thing I have an UKW-Radio. It also interacts with TrackID that will find most of songs played on radio. If they are somewhat popular.

 

Of course, you can use TrackID with your microphone and record any song at any place. Only requirement is that you have a working internet connection.

Conclusion


There is a lot of pros and cons I can find for this device. It is already old, and I don't expect any update after 5.1.1 for this device. It has good sides, it has bad sides. Battery would be better if I choose to downgrade. Either way, phone is working fine. No lags, as it is expected from high end device. I got mine with older EP800 charger (0.85A). Don't know if it was part of equipment or not, but it surely takes long to charge fully. Downside is its size. There is an unused space and sharp edges which makes phone larger than devices with same screen size. It fits in my pocket, so I'm ok with that, previous device was only 0.2" smaller.
Another thing is it comes with a single speaker. It's successor, Xperia Z2, has stereo speakers. There is a mod, but it doesn't work well with 5.0.2, only Kitkat. Also, it is quiet, because earspeaker can't provide the same amount of loudness as loudspeaker.
Camera is good, front one is just decent, it works, and nothing more to say about it.
Battery should be replaceable, but I hope I wouldn't have problems with it in future.
But phone is everything I was expecting for $250. It feels great, it works great. Nothing serious to complain for.
My friend has Xperia Z2 and he is satisfied with it too.
I had another options to consider. Huawei P8 Lite, which is newer and all metal body, but I'm not sure about software support for it, which was one more thing to have in mind, then there was Galaxy S4 which was above my budget, and some Lumias that are interesting, but I'm not into Windows Phone for now.

This phone is good value for my money, so I think it deserves 9.5/10.

Have a nice day.








You Might Also Like


Dedoimedo



Linux za sve



Phoronix



Hardwarebase


0 comments

Popular Posts